Modifying Arrangements to Reflect Your Current Situation

Over time, circumstances change. If the custody, visitation or support orders that were initially established no longer seem appropriate because of a significant change in circumstances, you may be eligible for a modification of the terms of those original court orders. At the Law Office of Suzanne Baker-Steele, Attorney at Law, P.L.L.C., we help clients who need to modify any existing custody or support orders. We work with clients throughout Biloxi and South Mississippi to modify arrangements, including:

  • Spousal support modifications: Although there are three types of alimony, periodic alimony is typically the only one which can be modified. To qualify, the receiving spouse must have had a substantial and material change in circumstances. In addition, the paying spouse may seek a modification if he/she has suffered an involuntary reduction in income (layoff, pay cut, disability, etc.). Alimony is usually a needs-based payment, so the most important aspect is your burden of proof. Our lawyer can help make sure you have the information you need during your case.
  • Visitation order modifications: If the noncustodial parent can prove that visitation is not working, they may be eligible for a modification. There is not a large burden of proof, but we can help ensure you are prepared.
  • Child custody modifications: A parent is required to prove a substantial and material change in circumstances which would negatively affect the minor child. This proof must show that a modification would be in the best interests of the minor.
  • Child support modifications: If the father's income decreases, modification is warrented, so long as the decrease is involuntary. A significant passage of time also warrants an upward modification. Quitting your job or going back to school will not automatically result in a modification. The reason for job termination makes a large difference in the likelihood of a modification. Child support orders can only be modified by another order and Court action is required.

If your situation has changed and you would like the court to recognize that in payment or visitation periods, we can help. Contact us online or call 228-206-2055 to schedule your appointment with an experienced lawyer.

Contact the Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


Suzanne Baker-Steele, Attorney At Law, P.L.L.C.
177 Lameuse Street
Biloxi, MS 39530

Fax: 228-374-8830
Map & Directions